In the wake of COVID 19, COHF has been running the following projects in Somalia:
- Fisheries Cash Plus Inputs in Berberia where the organization has managed to distribute to 200 households in Berberia district fish processing and cooking kits, conducted trainings for 200 vulnerable beneficiaries on advanced fish processing, handling and hygiene practices, successfully conducted nutritional awareness campaigns targeting 200 vulnerable beneficiaries by performing fish cooking demonstrations and facilitated cash transfers on a monthly basis to 200 vulnerable beneficiaries.
- Awareness creation on Anti-Trafficking of Persons and Gender Based violence targeting 800 exposed beneficiaries in Berberia and Hargeysa providing information related to human trafficking. The organization has managed to advocate for prosecution of offenders, and has supported human trafficking victims and survivors. On GBV the organization has provided information material in order to empower educators and child-care providers to identify potential victims of child sexual exploitation and other abuse against children, educated parents and the community on how to spot a trafficking situation and how to ensure they protect children against sex trafficking and other forms of child sexual abuse
- Awareness campaigns targeting on COVID19 to 1500 exposed communities in Berberia and Burao where there are already a number of hand washing stations created, hygiene and hand washing practices encouraged as sanitizers and disinfectants have been given out to the communities. This has gone hand in hand with awareness on the importance of whistleblowing human traffickers among others, how and where to whistle blow. The project also prepared and distributed information materials targeting 400 exposed communities necessary to help them identify dangerous individuals, avoid unsafe situations, escape perpetrators, and protect themselves from sexual exploitation, and trafficking.
- Distribution of re- usable face masks
- Distribution of hand wash soaps
- Distribution of wash stations
- Hand Sanitizers and disinfectants
ACTIVITIES ON THE GROUND
- Posters on COVID 19 information translated into local languages (Somali)
- Demonstration of Good hygiene hand washing exercise
- Awareness of the spread of COVID19 and impact i.e social distancing, staying at home, avoiding overcrowding areas
- Identifying symptoms of COVID19
- Procedure of reporting and where to do?
- Measures to be taken when one is under quarantine